Prashant Narayanan Quotes Most comedy films today are extremely retarded

Prashant Narayanan
Veteran actor Prashant Narayanan is excited about his cop film Mumbai Mirror in which he plays an interesting cameo.

Detailing about his role, the actor says, “I essay the character of a straight-forward cop who believes in the rule book and the notion that nobody is above law. How he gets caught in the underworld system is what the film is all about.”

The actor gained a lot of fame with his negative avatar in Murder 2. Then how come a positive character now? “I am comfortable doing any genre as long as it gives me lots of money,” he quips.

Although Mumbai Mirror does not boast of big stars, Prashant feels that it has a decent chance of success at the box office. “The primary reason is that it has been promoted well, most people knew that Mumbai Mirror released on 18 January (2013), which is good. Also another plus point is that it is directed by Ankush Bhatt who had earlier made the critically acclaimed film Bhindi Bazaar Inc.”

Prashant Narayanan
He also does not feel that producers of Mumbai Mirror are taking a risk by coming out with a film which goes against the current trend of feel-good comedies. “No, for I feel that most laugh riot flicks today are theatrical and extremely retarded. Also, the fact that if makers are bringing in a dark film, it also shows that they are confident of the substance in the story. It is not only about comedy, I sincerely feel that finally what matters is a good script. Even if a serious film has a bad script, it will still end up looking as a comedy only.” he reasons.

Prashant who has been in Bollywood for many years now has mostly kept away from out and out commercial films. “Many filmmakers want me to be a part of their projects, but I don’t sign the dotted line randomly. I prefer to do good scripted films with an XYZ rather than an ABC, if the latter’s script is not up to the mark. My sole concern in green lighting a project is the responsibility that my character holds to the overall plot,” he maintains.

Prashant also does not share the common sentiment that multiplex boom is helping small films. “The exhibitors need to have a change of heart and price small budgeted films differently from big films. For if the prices are uniformly high (e.g Rs 250), audiences will obviously prefer to watch a stupid film by a big star rather than a good film which does not boast of big names. In the current scenario, small filmmakers will be wiped out.” he fears.

Looking ahead, 2013 is quite hectic for Prashant. “I am working on 4/5 films which will soon release. Then, I am also working on projects down South (one in Tamil and two in Malayalam),” he reveals.

Prashant who has been a part of TV for years (Shagun 2001 and last seen in Phulwa) is not too keen on the small screen for the moment. “Firstly, I have date issues and secondly I find TV content loud and another form of theatre. Having said that, I never say no. If something really good comes along and the money is good, I might do it as well,” he concludes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment